Final Medicare Coverage Policy: Supervised Exercise Therapy for Peripheral Artery Disease
CMS (The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) has released the final regulation to cover supervised exercise therapy (SET) for beneficiaries with intermittent claudication (IC) for the treatment of symptomatic peripheral artery disease (PAD). The effective date is the publication date of the rule: May 25, 2017.
- Up to 36 sessions over a 12 week period are covered;
- Sessions consisting of 30-60 minutes comprising a therapeutic exercise-training program for PAD in patients with claudication;
- Must be conducted in a hospital outpatient setting or a physician’s office;
- Must be delivered by qualified auxiliary personnel who are trained in exercise therapy for PAD;
- The program is under the direct supervision of a physician, or physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist who must be trained in both basic and advanced life support techniques.
For more information please visit AACVPR website.